This was the second time the Pavilion was reinvented as a hospital, following its two-year stint as a place of recovery and rehabilitation for Indian soldiers between 1914-1915. As the Indian Army was redeployed to fight in the Middle East, the hospital lost its purpose and closed in January 1916, but it reopened three months later to receive British amputees. Its new title was crude: Hospital for Limbless Men.
A stand-out part of this exhibition sheds light on the hospital’s in-house journalistic efforts. The Pavilion Blues magazine was produced by the patients between 1916-1920, featuring their own poems, sketches and articles.
To read more download the May 2016 Issue of Sussex Style for Tablet: